AT A GLANCE
You’re a motivated rising senior graduating in DECEMBER 2023 or JUNE 2024 seeking an internship that could lead you to your first job out of college.
CUSTOMER OPERATIONS is seeking students with a 3.0+ GPA with the following Major(s) and from one of the listed accredited Colleges or Universities below.
MAJOR: Communications, Education, Business, Journalism or related field
COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY: University of Missouri St. Louis, Missouri University Science & Technology, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign or University of Missouri-Columbia
This is a learning-intensive program designed to give you essential business insights and hands-on experience in your field. It’s a full-time, 10-week commitment from MAY 31, 2023 through AUGUST 4, 2023.
Begin your career journey with Spectrum, named one of the Top 100 Internship Programs in the United States by WayUp. Apply Today!
THE SPECTRUM INTERNSHIP EXPERIENCE
As a Spectrum Intern, you’ll be essential to two teams — your respective department and your Intern peer group. Department and team-focused projects account for approximately 80% of your schedule. You’ll spend the other 20% on professional development sessions and networking activities including a Kickoff Conference on June 1, webinars, executive speaker series, community service, cross-functional project, and final presentation.
Our internships are designed to provide you:
Paid, full-time work experience that offers exposure to real-word business.
Opportunities to gain new skills and elevate the ones you already have in a dynamic, forward-thinking business setting.
- Hands-on experience at an industry-leading telecommunications company.
- Assigned mentor and interactions with senior executives to help you accomplish practical goals you can add to your résumé.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT TO GAIN FROM THIS ROLE
At Spectrum, we focus on the customer. It fuels and dictates all of the innovation, investment and technology we place behind our mobile, video, voice and internet products. OUR CUSTOMER OPERATIONS TEAMS work together to simplify and enhance every aspect of our customer’s experience. This is where you come in.
Your role as a Customer Operations Intern will offer experience in:
- Conducting research to obtain relevant, factual information and using various artistic mediums to increase user understanding of the content
Working on projects to support Customer Service strategy and goals such as the creation of new content to support initiatives, review of editorial standards, team workflow enhancements
Collaborating with managers, team members, and subject matter experts to create written content design specifications
- Gathering usability feedback from internal stakeholders/learners to enhance and improve outputs
HERE’S WHAT IT TAKES TO GET STARTED
Skills and experience required for this role include:
Location/Region: Maryland Heights, MO (63043)