About American Ordnance
American Ordnance is a subsidiary of Day & Zimmermann which is a century-old, family-owned company whose 41,000+ employees specialize in construction & engineering, staffing and defense solutions for leading corporations and governments around the world. Operating from more than 150 worldwide locations with 2.4 Billion USD in revenue, Day & Zimmermann is currently ranked as one of the largest private companies in the U.S. by Forbes. Founded in 1901 and headquartered in Philadelphia, PA, our first work was to develop "Betterment Reports" that helped modernize American factories. Today, we are still in the business of betterment -- maintaining the nation's power infrastructure, protecting American freedoms and driving technological advancements around the world. We do what we say.®
We expect this position will be included in the recent federal Executive Order (EO) and subsequent guidance, requiring federal contractors and employers with more than 100 employees to implement a vaccine mandate; therefore, it is expected that anyone hired into this position will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencement of employment in accordance with the EO and any subsequent guidance, unless an accommodation is legally required.
A Controls Technician is needed for a full-time, staff opportunity with American Ordnance located in Middletown, Iowa.
The Work You’ll Be Doing:
- Troubleshoot and evaluate breakdowns as well as initiate modifications to equipment. Troubleshooting may include building test samples, error replication, and data collection/analysis. Works in close support with Engineers, quality or production personnel.
- Find and document solutions to better utilize existing equipment and tools to improve processes. Reduce downtime by identifying and resolving issues in the production process and equipment. Recommends design changes.
- Directs the work of maintenance personnel.
What You Need to Bring to the Table:
- Associate degree from two year college or technical school in Industrial Technology or related field.
- 2+ year Technical experience.
- Valid driver's license required.
- Understand NEC, NFPA, NESC.
- Great attitude and team player.
- Successful completion of background screening process.
The Big Picture – Top Skills You Should Possess:
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Experienced in PLC programming and Microsoft Office Software.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and electrical prints. Ability to write routine correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before employees of the organization.
- Strong mechanical aptitude and hands-on experience with machinery and equipment. Knowledge and desire to troubleshoot and resolve issues with various complex machine types and systems.
- Ability with interfacing and integrating multiple systems and platforms in automated processes.
Must be able to perform the following physical and mental tasks:
- Visual acuity (e.g., needed to prepare and analyze data, to transcribe documents, to view a computer, to read, to inspect objects, to operate machinery.
- Balancing (e.g. maintaining equilibrium when walking, climbing, crouching, etc.)
- Stooping (e.g. bending the spine at the waist)
- Reaching (e.g. reaching the arms or legs in any direction)
- Lifting motion or lifting objects more than 15 pounds
- Repetitive motion of any part of the body
- Kneeling, crouching or crawling
- Pushing or pulling (e.g. using a part of your body to press against something in a downward or outward direction or in a dragging or hauling motion)
- Manual Dexterity (e.g. picking, pinching, typing, or other working that uses fingers)
- Grasping (e.g. use of hand to apply pressure)
- Feeling (e.g. perceiving an object’s size, shape, texture, etc.)
- Climbing (e.g. ascending/descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, pole, etc. using feet and legs and hands/arms to climb)
- Capacity to think, concentrate and focus for long periods of time.
- Ability to read complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to reason and make sound decisions.
- Ability to write complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to express thoughts orally.
- Expertise in:
- Ability to wear a mask, respirator, bullet proof vest, or other equipment.
- Ability to regularly perform all job functions at Company’s office or worksite.
- Ability to withstand environmental conditions (e.g. extreme heat or cold, grass, wind, sand, fumes, odors, gases, extreme noise, etc.)
What’s In It For You?
Candidates that are hired will receive a competitive base salary, 401k, a comprehensive medical/dental/vision plan, parental leave and paid time off.
What Are You Waiting For? Apply Now! Recruiter: Andrea McLeod
Diversity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity
American Ordnance is committed to maintaining an inclusive workforce, where employees are hired, retained, compensated and promoted based on their contributions to our Company. Our collective strength is rooted in over 110 years of diverse employees and businesses, commitment to success, and delivery on promises made. Federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity laws prohibit employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status and disability status. American Ordnance is committed to providing an equal opportunity work environment in full compliance with these laws. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation in the application process, please email
, and please specify which position you are interested in, including job title and location.