Seeking Weekend Activity Teacher / Relief Dorm Parent
Weekend Activity Teachers & Relief Dorm Parents (from here on Activity Teacher) generally work Friday through Monday (generally 4 days on, 3 days off) leading activities and covering Dorm Parents’ time off. From after school through the end of breakfast the next day, relief dorm parents might do everything from playing games, making breakfast, or leading a hike or bike ride. Their role at Hampshire Country School has two equally important foundations: lead fun, engaging, educational activities with a strong educational foundation; and reinforce a family-style living space in the dorm.
45% - Lead activities with a strong educational foundation. These will typically be evening or weekend opportunities to engage fun, curiosity, movement, and confidence.
45% - Relief Dorm Parents have the primary responsibility to support a family-style living space in the dorm and at meals. By stepping into our students’ “home away from home” relief dorm parents serve as an important caregiver getting to know every student in our small school community.
10% - Individual student support through one-on-one sponsorship of interests, projects, and unique needs.
In carrying out their duties, the Activity Teacher also:
- Aligns with school Mission, Vision, and Program.
- Engages with students and builds positive relationships.
- Participates in meals and community life in addition to job responsibilities.
Commitments, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A commitment to students’ dignity and their whole learning process.
- A commitment to the method of lightheartedness, understanding, structure, and compassion.
- A commitment to experiential, outdoor, and adventure based learning.
- Facilitation, presentation, interpersonal, and mediation skills.
- Have the ability to manage a number of competing demands and triage what needs attention first.
- Resilience and creativity.
- Familiarity with challenging students and difficult behaviors.
- Being flexible and adapting to changing circumstances.
- Being willing and able to exercise judgment and take risks.
- Residential experience in an academic setting working with twice exceptional students.
- A bachelor's degree (complete or expected in next 24 months) in child development, outdoor leadership, or a related field, or equivalent professional experience.
There is one Family Weekend in October and one in February. Activity Teacher on-duty times remain the same. Specific duties during the weekend include, but are not limited to, interacting with students and families and engaging them in games and activities, general coverage in Main House, meals, and attending evening programs.
To seek more information or apply for this position, please email a cover letter and resume or CV to email@example.com. Position will be open until filled.
Hampshire Country School (HCS) is a 10 month boarding school in southern New Hampshire for high-ability, neurodiverse boys enrolling in later elementary or middle school. HCS offers understanding, light-heartedness, and structure to educate boys in a family-style, supportive, and collaborative learning community. For more information:
Hampshire Country School is an AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against any person or group on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, pregnancy, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or genetic information. Hampshire Country School is building a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and encourages applications from minorities and women.
Location/Region: Rindge, NH (03461)