Post-doctoral Fellow position is available immediately in the laboratory of Dr. Christiane Querfeld, M.D., Ph.D. at Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope. About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment. About the Querfeld Laboratory
Christiane Querfeld, M.D., Ph.D., director of the Cutaneous Lymphoma Program, seeks better treatment options for cutaneous T cell lymphoma (CTCL), a rare form of lymphoma that first appears on the skin but can also spread to lymph nodes and internal organs. City of Hope is one of the few institutions in the country that offers clinical trials to treat cutaneous lymphomas. Dr. Querfeld leads a multidisciplinary team of experts, including medical and radiation oncologists, pioneering treatments for CTCL and its subtypes.
Dr. Querfeld's laboratory investigations are focused on the microenvironment in CTCL funded by NIH-NCI R01 and LLS scholar grants. She has demonstrated that cancer growth is fostered by the surrounding nonmalignant cells. These observations have led to the initiation of several targeted and immunologic therapies to restore the immune system and hereby killing the cancerous cells. Examples include a microRNA (miR155) antagomir that inhibits proliferation, an anti-CD47 construct enhancing macrophage killing and a randomized investigator initiated trial comparing the checkpoint inhibitor anti-PD-L1 with/without the immunomodulatory drug lenalidomide. Her fundamental laboratory research activities involve dissecting key signaling pathways to advance therapeutic immunologic strategies including mechanisms of resistance. Key Responsibilities include:
Qualifications Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration
- The ideal candidate should fit well with our research team focusing on the tumor microenvironment in cutaneous T cell lymphoma.
- Our research aims to identify the underlying mechanisms that promotes CTCL growth; specifically, the impact of immune cells such as macrophages and Tregs and to define novel targets.
- Expertise in handling of high-dimensional analysis of primary tissues, including multi parameter flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry, multiplex imaging and/or gene expression profiling, microRNA analysis, exosomes isolation and analysis (EG) for microRNA proteins cancer detection therapy is highly preferred.
- Participate in the preparation of research grants, manuscripts and presentations.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with each procedure(s) by utilizing safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious and toxic material.
- The candidate must follow established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
1 . A Ph.D. degree in life or biomedical sciences, or a related discipline is required.
2. Ability to effectively work and collaborate in a translational research environment in order to successfully meet deadlines and perform and prioritize simultaneous tasks. Requires use of discretion and judgment when handling confidential information.
3. Ability to design and execute experiments, critically interpret experimental results, and present data in a cogent and meaningful manner.
4. Candidate be industrious, has sound technical skills and capable drafting grant proposals, research protocols and manuscripts.
5. Under minimal direction of the Principal Investigator, works and is responsible for the development and execution of major research project and performs state-of-the-art, complex research projects in collaboration with the other researchers, making significant, original contributions to research methods; including authorship or co-authorship of published findings.
6. Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with each procedure(s) by utilizing safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious and toxic material.
Location/Region: Duarte, CA