Build a better career with MSC.
Serving customer and community starts with the very best people doing their very best work. That is precisely what we have at MSC Industrial Supply Co., a leading North American distributor of metalworking and maintenance, repair, and operations (MRO) products and services. Watch HERE to find out why you should work at MSC and join us as we continue to build a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Requisition ID : 5487
Employment Type : Full Time
Job Category : Inventory Management
Work Location : Davidson, NC (CSC)
State or Province : North Carolina (US-NC)
Potential Work Location : United States : North Carolina : Davidson
JOB TITLE: Data Governance Analyst/Modeler
BRIEF POSITION SUMMARY:
At MSC, we are growing our Analytics team and investing in forward-thinking BI and Data Analytics solutions. As we build out the team, we are looking for a smart and innovative leader who is self-sufficient and thrives in ambiguity, has experience in Analytics, and can drive results across MSC bridging business and technical areas. This is an opportunity to be a part of a special milestone, help us build the future of Analytics at MSC, and ignite a data-driven culture. The Data Governance Analyst/ Modeler will create and maintain data analytics structural annotations, business definitions, data catalog and conformance matrixes. This role will have close partnerships with data architects, business SMEs, and data scientists to produce data models as well as reinforcement of best practices and standards. This role will facilitate forums to validate data definitions and business logic to ensure that users understand how to use the data for their specific purposes. This role is responsible for growing our data governance capabilities and assets with the ability to work independently as well as function as an integral part of a team, take initiative and contribute in a fast-paced environment. Must have the ability to balance multiple projects concurrently and manage changes in scope along the way. Due to the ubiquitous nature of the role, there is opportunity for growth across MSC.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Grows our Data Governance capabilities and assets with the ability to work independently as well as function as an integral part of a team, take initiative and contribute in a fast-paced environment. Able to balance multiple projects concurrently and manage changes in scope along the way.
- Owns the authoring and delivering artifacts that promote integration, re-usability, data governance, and scalability across our data platform. Finds opportunities to improve such as identify gaps in existing processes and champion solutions and policies that deliver a balance between data security and availability.
- Maintains close partnership with Data architects, business SMEs, and data engineers to implement solutions, provide guidance on overall architecture and design, and enforce best practices and standards. Help to define enterprise data and distribute their definitions to ensure that stakeholders understand how to use the data for their specific purposes securely.
- Provides technical leadership and guidance:
- Identifying and defining common data sets, owners and stewards within and across the business.
- Establishing naming standards and definitions.
- Develops and maintains Business and IT Data Catalogs leveraging collaboration and self-service to certify data sets.
- Builds sample dashboards that help business users validate data quality and provide actionable insights into acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Architects solutions and uses cases with Data Governance or Metadata Management tools (i.e. Collibra, IBM IIS, Informatica, etc)
- Deploys sophisticated analytics programs, machine learning and statistical methods
- Prepares data for predictive and prescriptive modeling
- Creates data governance policies and processes for data lakes and distributed data architectures
- Fosters the MSC Culture in the department and throughout the company to ensure fulfillment of MSC’s vision and unity of purpose.
- Participation in special projects and performs additional duties as required.
*INDICATES ESSENTIAL DUTIES
To perform this job successfully an associate must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, experience level and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum three years of wide-ranging analytics experience, in areas such as SQL based analytics, business intelligence and reporting, (machine learning/ statistical modeling is a plus) required.
- Minimum two years relevant Data Governance, Data Management, or Data Quality experience required.
- Experience in Requirements Collection, Documentation, Solution Architecture, Design, Development and Deployment required.
- Strong Knowledge of Data Warehousing, ETL and BI architectures, concepts and frameworks required.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate with vendors, business users, and executives, and the ability to communicate technical solutions in business terms required.
- Project management skills/exposure will be an advantage required.
- Proven track record evaluating, recommending, and championing architectural solutions that support successful data implementations required.
- Experience championing data modeming standards and best practices required.
- Demonstrated experience closing the gap between the business and IT through the creation and promotion of new processes required.
- Possess a foundation or Expertise or Interest in data science required.
- Exposure to Salesforce platform a plus.
- Basic scripting skills (python, R, etc.,) is a plus.
- Possess a strong foundation in BI & data analytics.
- Five years of experience using Business Intelligence reporting tools like Tableau, QlikView, Power BI, Einstein Analytics, Looker for the creation and automation of Enterprise Scale dashboards preferred.
- Five years of experience writing advanced SQL, performance tuning of BI queries, data modeling, and data mining, data wrangling from multiple sources (SQL, ETL, data warehousing) preferred.
- Strong comprehensive of Data Management and Data governance best practices •Strong knowledge and experience in cloud data warehousing solutions (i.e. BigQuery, Snowflake, Synapse)
- Strong Knowledge about Agile techniques: User Stories, Continuous Integration, Test Driven Development, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Burn Down Metrics, Velocity etc.
- Strong knowledge of software development processes and procedures to understand team needs includes fundamentals of iterative and incremental development
- Basic scripting skills (python, R, etc.,) is a plus.\
- Possess a strong foundation in BI & data analytics.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to travel up to 15% of the time may be required.
People. Collaboration. Insight. That’s how you build something that works.
Built on a foundation of trust, MSC works side by side with our customers to help them drive business results. With more than one million product offerings and 75+ years of experience across industries, MSC strives to help our customers achieve greater productivity, profitability, and growth through inventory management and other innovative supply chain solutions.
We care about our associates and have programs in place to help our 6,500+ team members achieve their potential. When you join our team, you will receive rewards and recognition for your contributions, training and professional development opportunities, as well as a variety of benefits to support you and your family’s health, well-being, and financial future.
If you are inspired to learn, take risks, and succeed as a team, you can build a better career at MSC.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At MSC, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all qualified applicants and our associates without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or any category protected by applicable law.
Location/Region: Davidson, NC