THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER AT SAN ANTONIO
Department of Physician Assistant Studies
School of Health Professions
Position Description: Faculty, Department of Physician Assistant Studies Laredo Distant Campus
The Department of Physician Assistant (PA) Studies at UT Health San Antonio invites applications for a contingency full-time tenure-track faculty position that includes the oversight and academic coordination of the distant campus location in Laredo Texas, part of the UT Health Laredo Regional Campus. This position, in addition to faculty teaching duties, would be responsible for overseeing the day to day activities of the department, including daily overall responsibility for the distant campus program and academic coordination.
The Chair of the Department of PA Studies seeks an individual capable of engaging in teaching, service and scholarly activities. This individual will be capable of assisting the Department with the establishment of the distant campus in Laredo, to tie the program in with the strategic objectives of the UT Health Science Center.
The successful candidate will provide academic coordination and administrative leadership to implement the development of our distant campus and to enhance the Departments impact on teaching, service and scholarship. The candidate will facilitate interdepartmental/inter-school and external collaborations to ensure the establishment of an excellent distant campus program through the promotion of a collegial and collaborative environment which will ensure that our remote campus program thrives. This position will be responsible for overseeing the day to day activities of the didactic phase of the physician assistant curriculum at the distant campus site. This includes planning the didactic schedule, coordinating with faculty locally and on the home campus in San Antonio and facilitating on-going evaluation and improvement. Full time permanent status of this position is contingent on accreditation of the distant campus location by the Accreditation Review Commission on the Education of the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA).
- Teaching, service, and scholarly activities as assigned by the Chair.
- Direct representative of the San Antonio program at the distant campus location with overall daily responsibility of the Department of PA Studies distant campus.
- Advise academic coordinator/program director/chair/department on course revisions/course development.
- Facilitate interdisciplinary course work and opportunities.
- Serve as a role model for faculty, students, and staff.
- Overseeing/facilitating/coordinating course curriculum and scheduling.
- Participate in all department, school and University activities, committees, and working groups as applicable.
- Attend faculty meetings and functions as necessary.
- Serve as a student advisor.
- Orient new students to the requirements of the didactic year.
- Participate in faculty development activities.
- Participate in national and state PA faculty-profession organizations.
- Participate in national and state PA professional organizations.
- Assist in the recruitment and selection of students.
- Participate in Department and faculty activities.
- Serve on appropriate Department committees.
- Assist in the development of student research capstone projects which are unique to the Department.
- Conduct research that supports the Department and University’s missions.
- Serve as a representative from the department to school, and university to public and professional organizations.
- Advising Chair/Department on the distant campus.
- Assist in outcomes analysis as it relates to student progression and curriculum adjustment.
- Assist the academic coordinating team in the design and implementation of the program of continuous self-study as it pertains to the Laredo distant campus.
- Collaborate and create supportive partnerships both within and outside the program, school, and University.
- Provide instruction as needed at the remote site in didactic subjects, OSCE’s, clinical lab, simulation and anatomy labs.
- Clinical practice is allowed.
- Graduation from a CAHEA, CAAHEP, or ARC-PA accredited Physician Assistant program.
- Possess a master’s degree relevant to physician assistant practice or education, doctorate preferred.
- National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants certified.
- Texas Physician Assistant license or eligible.
- Five years of clinical experience.
- Evidence of effective communication skills.
- Evidence of administrative skills.
- Ability to set and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member.
- Demonstration of administrative and leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Evidence of analytic skills, and outcomes assessment skills.
- Prior teaching experience preferred.
This position is under the direct supervision of the Program Director/Chair for the performance of these duties and other duties as assigned.
Applications will need to be submitted through the UT Health Careers website:
"All faculty appointments are designated as security sensitive positions" and “The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including protected veterans and persons with disabilities."
Location/Region: Laredo, TX (78041)