Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc. (NYSE:ARE) is an urban office REIT uniquely focused on world-class collaborative science and technology campuses in AAA innovation cluster locations. Alexandria pioneered this niche in 1994 and has since established a dominant market presence in key locations, including Greater Boston, San Francisco, New York City, San Diego, Seattle, Maryland, and Research Triangle Park. Alexandria is known for its high-quality and diverse tenant base. Alexandria has a longstanding and proven track record of developing Class A assets clustered in urban science and technology campuses that provide its innovative tenants with highly dynamic and collaborative environments that enhance their ability to successfully recruit and retain world-class talent and inspire productivity, efficiency, creativity, and success. For additional information on Alexandria, please visit www.are.com.
Alexandria’s Science and Technology Team supports the company by providing scientific and technical expertise to help guide Alexandria’s three major activities: Venture Capital Investment, Real Estate, and Thought Leadership.
Alexandria’s Venture Investment arm acts as the strategic venture capital group within Alexandria Real Estate Equities and helps identify and invest in innovative life science companies, including biotech and agtech, and manage all related due diligence for potential investments, including in-depth review of a company’s technology, key focus area(s), competitive landscape, and the strength and level of innovation of each opportunity.
Real Estate activities include performing diligence on potential life science, tech and agtech tenants, as well as monitoring existing tenants through review of financials, scientific milestones, news and press releases, and meetings with management.
Lastly, Thought Leadership activities include preparing for and organizing efforts around the Alexandria Innovate Ag Summit, a high-impact event that brings together industry experts and opinion leaders in fields such as plant science, animal health, and food tech, to discuss current progress and challenges in agriculture.
Our Research Triangle-based Science & Technology team provides expertise on agtech trends, tracking and engaging with our current tenant and investment portfolio, as well as sourcing and evaluating new ag-related opportunities.
We are currently seeking a dynamic, entrepreneurially minded individual to join our AgTech Research Triangle-based team as a Senior Associate to provide additional expertise in the agtech industry and to support our ag-related underwriting, research, venture and business development efforts.
The ideal candidate will have experience investing in ag-related companies, understand the diligence process to make a recommendation for a potential investment and/or evaluate a prospective tenant, and be aware of the major stakeholders in the local and national ag ecosystem.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex (including sexual or gender identity), religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, age, marital or veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or medical condition.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct in-depth research (qualitative and quantitative) relevant to various areas such as agricultural technology, food technology, and animal health as well as broader trends in the agriculture industry, including relevant US regulatory activity.
- Research and analyze short and long-term drivers affecting the ag industry and the Research Triangle region.
- Create and maintain internal documents and white papers that track the broad agtech and technology sectors.
- Support venture capital activity related to early-stage agtech investments by identifying unique opportunities and conducting in-depth diligence of a company’s technology and business plan.
- Development relationships with, conduct research and prepare company summaries on new and existing tenants and investments, which often may need to be catered to audiences with varying levels of science or technology expertise.
- Meet regularly with tenants and investments for updates.
- Support portfolio companies’ operational and business development activities.
- Help develop and support Research Triangle/Ag-related strategy, business development, and thought leadership efforts.
- Prepare correspondence, background information, and/or event materials as needed.
- Monitor and synthesize Ag-related news and information coming out of major news media sources, key industry conferences, company earnings calls and SEC filings, and company press releases.
- Collaborate with various functional groups across the Company, including Accounting, Finance, Leasing and Corporate Events teams on special projects, as well as prepare memos and reports for executive management.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; degree in a life science or agriculture-related field is strongly preferred. Master’s degree or PhD a plus.
- Minimum 4 years prior work experience within the agricultural technology industry; a venture capital, business development, or financial analysis background is preferred.
- Strong connections in the Research Triangle Park life science and agricultural technology industries, universities, academic medical institutions and early stage companies is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with the agriculture supply chain is preferred.
- Strong research and analytical skills are required; experience working with large data sets is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of capital markets and finance is a plus
- Must be able to work independently and effectively manage and organize multiple projects concurrently.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to communicate with co-workers, management, and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Some travel is required.
Location/Region: Research Triangle Park, NC