Newsday is currently seeking an Accountant to join our Financial Reporting team in our Melville, NY office location. In this position, you will be responsible for circulation accounting, fixed asset accounting, and cash management. Additionally, you will record journal entries, prepare balance sheet account analysis and ensure accuracy of financial statements prepared for the month end close process. You will also prepare/review monthly variance explanations, liaison with upper management and financial analysts, and assist in various projects and other ad hoc analysis as assigned.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Responsible for cash management functions including daily/weekly cash balance reporting and submitting/reporting wire transfers.
- Assist in month-end close process, which includes recording journal entries for Newsday as well as other business units as needed.
- Assist in month-end close procedures including review of accruals and variances for assigned departments.
- Prepare various balance sheet account analysis for assigned areas on a monthly basis including bank reconciliations, prepaid assets, and accruals.
- Responsible for tracking and filing monthly account reconciliations.
- Prepare quarterly and year-end schedules to support financial statements.
- Assist in quarterly physical inventory procedures.
- Perform special projects and ad hoc analysis on an as needed basis.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- Solid understanding of accounting transactions.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Able to work beyond normal work day during close periods.
- Keen financial acumen and accuracy with numbers.
- Must possess a flexible and varied schedule to include PM shifts and weekends as needed during close periods.
- Proficiency in computers, Excel and Word required; Oracle experience is a plus.
Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.
Location/Region: Melville, NY (11747)