NAIOP, the Commercial Real Estate Development Association based in Herndon, Virginia, is seeking a senior manager of conferences. This position is a key role within the Education team at NAIOP, planning 5-7 conferences and meetings annually, ranging from 20 to 1,500 people in the US and Canada. The successful candidate will possess excellent project management skills, clear and pleasant oral and written communication, flexibility on project prioritization, and savvy negotiation skills. The meeting planner works with a third-party site selection firm, DMCs, hotels, convention centers, and internal teams to create excellent conference experiences.
- Conference and Meeting Logistics
- Manages all hotel logistics, including food and beverage selection, audio-visual equipment, DMC contracts, room set-ups, guarantees, credit approval, preparation and execution of all event specifications;
- Prepares and manages staff onsite work schedule;
- Identifies potential vendors, negotiates vendor contracts, and coordinates vendor requirements;
- Plans and manages special events;
- Reconciles hotel and vendor invoices and processes them for payment;
- Visits properties to plan and prepare for upcoming meetings;
- Meets with vendors and appropriate event staff;
- Identifies and visits potential locations for any off-site events.
- Pre-Conference Activities
- Coordinates logistics for pre-conference meetings including national committee meetings, Board of Directors, Foundation Governors, National Forums and NAIOP-PAC;
- Plans Board of Directors receptions and dinners;
- Plans Foundation Governors receptions and dinners;
- Coordinates National Forums dinners and transportation;
- Develops and maintains hotel reservation reports.
- Future Sites Contracting
- Identifies and analyzes feasibility of potential sites for future conferences;
- Manages internal contract review, signature and return process;
- Serves as main contact with meetings vendor in future site selection and contract negotiation.
- Recommends budgets for department review and executes the budgets, ensuring guidelines are followed;
- Maintains working event budgets throughout the year, including projections for future years’ budgets.
- Provides customer service to members via phone and email interactions;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- No supervisory responsibilities
Reports to Vice President for Education