The Online News Association (ONA) is seeking a Program Manager to improve and grow our Online Journalism Awards program, as well as several key grant programs that involve making a call for public submissions and distributing micro grants to successful applicants. In short, a detail-oriented team member will be in charge of honing the processes for submission, review and distribution of awards and funding for 3-5 of our programs.
We’re looking for someone highly motivated and focused, with strong project management skills and a keen attention to detail. This job will be perfect for someone wanting to create strong systems for tracking our grant programs and awards, contribute their creative ideas to support ONA’s mission and provide funding and recognition to the global journalism community.
With over 3,200 members worldwide, ONA is the world’s largest membership organization of digital journalists. Our mission is to inspire and support innovation and excellence among digital journalists to better serve the public. We believe journalism builds a more informed society that leads to a stronger democracy.
Driven by a dynamic staff and Board of Directors, ONA is one of the leading organizations providing digital training through our conferences, fellowships and local groups. We offer excellent benefits – such as health insurance, 401(k) plan, paid leave and professional development support – as well as a flexible, DC-based work environment with the option to work from home several days per week.
You’ll oversee the process for accepting grant submissions, organizing screeners / reviewers / and judges, and manage our Online Journalism Awards program.
- Manage the Online Journalism Awards program including building a strategy for growing the awards program, creating and managing the budget, overseeing the call for applications, screening and judging, notifying finalists
- Review and recommend improvements to our current processes for managing submissions, reviews and resource allocation for our Challenge Fund for Innovation in Journalism Education, Journalism 360, Journalism Mentorship Collaborative and similar projects in which ONA distributes micro grants in support of the digital journalism community, working with ONA’s Director of Programs
- Design new processes as needed for managing submissions, reviews and resource allocation for future micro grant programs
Coordinate with ONA’s Meeting Manager on logistics related our Online Journalism Awards Banquet
- Direct and oversee any program consultants’ scope of work related to assigned programs (e.g., a producer for the Online Journalism Awards Banquet)
- Create and maintain a project budget for the Online Journalism Awards program for management
- Provide required information to have grants processed and approved for recipients according to the established timelines
- Identify and evaluate the risks associated with assigned program activities and take appropriate action to control the risks
- Coordinate with Program Director, Senior Manager, Communities & Local Journalism Initiatives, Communications Manager and Sr. Digital Manager to ensure applications are open / closed in a timely manner and successful applicants are notified accordingly
Benefits: Paid medical, dental and vacation; 401K plan
Hours: Full-Time; partial remote schedule
Location: NPR’s Washington D.C. office and virtually, applicants must be able to work from the D.C. office at least two to three times a week.
Reports to: Head of Programs and Events
Works closely with: Director of Programs, Sr. Digital Manager, Communications Manager, Meeting Manager
Direct report: none